These days, it seems we are noticing more women and men arriving at cosmetic clinics bringing with them computer-enhanced photographs, and wanting to have cosmetic treatments to recreate this artificially perfected image. Non-surgical nose jobs, cheek fillers, lip enhancements and botox are the treatments of choice when trying to emulate the enhanced photographs.
Most of the women wanting these cosmetic treatments are not old, in fact most of them are in their early twenties. Sometimes they want enhancing treatments to increase their self-confidence, sometimes because celebrities are doing it, or sometimes it’s because of peer pressure. When young women see the perfect images others have taken of themselves, it forces them to look closely at their own image, and look at it with a more self-critical eye than ever before.
Camera filters have also increased the demand for cosmetic procedures, with clients trying to copy their filtered photograph image, even bringing their altered images to the practitioner, as an example of what they want to look like. A lot of young people aren’t looking for subtle results, and we’re seeing suspiciously full lips, super defined cheekbones and skin that’s smooth and tight.
There are now a great number of non-surgical cosmetic procedures:
- Botox – to reduce moderate to severe fine lines and wrinkles, frown lines and crow’s-feet.
- Laser treatments – rejuvenate the skin’s surface.
- Chemical peels – these will improve the texture and tone of the skin.
- Radiofrequency therapies – for skin tightening and cellulite reduction.
- PDO thread lifts – can deliver essentially a non-surgical facelift, using injections, placed in strategic places.
- Dermal fillers – for non-surgical nose jobs, lip enhancement, adding volume and lifting cheeks and much more.
- Microdermabrasion treatments – a non-surgical procedure that resurfaces the skin. It helps to remove dead skin cells on the skin’s surface.
While we can’t escape people taking endless photographs of themselves and using filters and editing to perfect the images, we really shouldn’t let them influence us to have extreme treatments. Fillers aren’t just for people who are looking to restore their youth, but also to enhance. Botox can help us look our best without making our face look like a frozen mask, dermal filler in our cheeks will give us defined cheekbones and restore lost volume and we can enhance and define the lips, without inflating them to extreme proportions.
We all want to look the very best we can, but we don’t have to go to extremes to achieve it.